Sun, Jul 19|
Online Zoom Event
July Book Club
Join the Olney Prep family as we delve deeper into the book Wonder, by Devon A. Corneal. We will explore the how choosing kindness can make all the difference in the world.
Time & Location
Jul 19, 2020, 5:00 PM – 6:30 PM
Online Zoom Event
About the event
- Because of his appearance, people often react to Auggie by looking away. How does that affect him? How does he respond? Have you ever seen someone whose appearance shocked or surprised you? How did you react? After reading Wonder do you think you’ll behave differently in the future?
- You don’t find out what Auggie looks like right away. Why do you think the author kept his appearance mysterious? Were you surprised when you read her description?
- Do adults and children treat Auggie differently in the book?
- Why did the author include so many different points of view? Did you find it helpful to see Auggie through other people’s eyes? Which narrator’s story did you enjoy reading the most? Who do you think was the most honest?
- Who are Auggie’s friends? What are they like?
- Even though Auggie’s story can be very sad, the book is full of humor. Were there any parts that made you laugh? Why was humor so important to this story?
- How does Auggie change over the course of the book? Why? Do other characters change? Who changes the most?
- What is a precept? (Don’t be afraid to pull out the dictionary!) What was your favorite precept from the book? If you had to write your own, what would it be?
- How do you imagine Auggie in five years? What do you think his life will be like when he’s an adult?
- Would you recommend this book? If so, who would you recommend it to and why?
Activity-Family Awards: At graduation, Auggie gets a special award that represents his growth and his inherent decency. Choose an honor for each member of your family to show them what you value about them and why. If you are artistic, create medals or certificates with designs that showcase the special qualities of the award recipient. Is your mom the funniest, your dad the best cook, or your sibling the most loyal? Now is your chance to tell them how you feel!
Questions provided by: https://www.readbrightly.com/brightlys-book-club-for-kids-wonder/